Monday 24 August 2015

Mathangi Maya Arulpragasam - British Designers, Part Two.


Mathangi Maya Arulpragasam 
source

Mathangi Maya Arulpragasam, most commonly known as musician M.I.A. graduated from Central Saint Martins with a degree in Fine Arts.

She creates artwork through multidisciplinary formats, transferring emphasis on her cultural heritage and upbringing. Keeping in touch with her Asian roots, there is a sense of old and new in her artwork. She represents the 'past' India through older artistic processes, such a silkscreen which is contrasted with newer methods of artistry, such as holographic printing, which is commonly used for printing credit cards. 

I love how there are layers to Mayas work. She allows contrast to take place without putting to much emphasis on it. You are instantly able to tell of her multi-cultural upbringing as she creates an artistic pick'n'mix of symbols, colours and textures. 

Maya is extremely relevant to me, as she reminds me of the importance of art with meaning. But also, she reminds me of where I am from. London, and all its enriching diversity. 





No comments:

Post a Comment